Saturday 4 July 2009

Am I cracking up...

...or just getting older? Or so Noel Gallagher once pondered. He may well have been cracking up at the time, but Oasis are still 'cracking out' some 'great tunes'. So, by process of elimination, I conclude that, like the rest of us, he is merely getting older.

Interesting fact alert: did you know that more than half of retirees in this country have retired parents?


That means more women aged 60+ and men aged 65+ have parents who are still alive than those who don't. The mind boggles.

This trend will become increasingly prevalent. Some 16 per cent of the population are 65 or over, although this is set to rise to 22 per cent by 2031.

As I move from my youth and into my prime, I've begun harbouring ambitions to become the world's oldest person in 90 years' time (which would make me 113-and-a-half).

And I'm quietly confident. Statistics have shown that first born children (tick) of young mothers (26... young enough, tick) are 1.7 times more likely to become a centenarian than their siblings.

In your face, Tom and Joe.

Pic credit: imaflanagan

No comments:

Post a Comment